Okay, so I graduated last week with my Bachelor’s degree so I am ready to get back into this! This is great news for you readers because A) You won’t hear me complaining about school and homework anymore and B) I’m going to be a whole lot more consistent! (hopefully… I still have three kids guys..)
Seriously, I am excited to get back into this but I’ve been super intimidated since I’ve been MIA for awhile. So I found these bowls on a Facebook ad on West Elm and I fell in love with them and thought they would be a perfect way to jump back into blogging. They came in the cutest colors and I, honestly, feel like after 2 years I have finally found my style! I don’t love that I haven’t had a consistent style on my Instagram feed but I’m glad I kept plugging away because it just took me awhile to find my groove. Still am.
I thought I would start back into blogging by doing a tried and true family recipe that we make consistently around here: Broccoli Chicken Casserole. This is a favorite of all of my sisters and it is in our family cookbook Yum by my Aunt Ludene. It is a combo of broccoli, diced chicken, onion, baked in a cream cheese sauce, topped with bread crumbs and Parmesan. You don’t need to do anything else for dinner- that’s it. Makes great leftovers too!
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
- 1 Fresh Bundle broccoli or 2 10 oz. packages frozen broccoli
- 2 cups onion, sliced
- 1 Chicken, cooked and cut up (for easiness, just use rotisserie chicken! I have also put frozen chicken in the crockpot all day so I can just shred it up once dinner comes and throw it in.)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- TBSP Butter
Make a white sauce with:
- 8 TBSP butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 TBSP flour
- 2 Cups milk
- 8 oz cream cheese- softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook broccoli till tender in boiling water and drain.
- Saute onions for a couple minutes- they don’t need to be cooked all the way.
- Combine broccoli, onions, and your cooked, cut chicken in a 9×13 and set aside.
- Make the sauce: Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour and make a paste. Slowly stir in milk and whisk over medium heat until it is a thicker sauce. Blend in your softened cream cheese and whisk until it is fully incorporated. Pour sauce into the 9×13 with the broccoli and chicken and mix.
- Make the topping by melting the 2 TBSP butter and combining it with the Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Enjoy everyone and thank you all for sticking with me!
Marinn (and Calvin for this one too!) Twins helped by crawling on the ground near me clanging on cookie pans. 🙂